Sunday, March 20, 2011

A French Toast Breakfast

There is really nothing better than waking up on a Sunday morning to be welcomed by a plate of delicious warm french toast with maple syrup, fruit and a dollop of my faviourite jam on the side. I love having breakfast such as this.

In fact I think an English breakfast gets me moving faster than an Asian one! Heh I'm Asian right so I should be having my fried beehoon, or porridge or chee kueh .... shouldn't I? When on holidays, the best meal of the day for me would have to be breakfast, especially a buffet spread (ok I love stuffing my face). I thoroughly enjoy moving from one station to another, spread out with fresh fruit, cereal, cold cuts to the guy who keeps flipping sunny side eggs to scrambled eggs. My knees go jello at the sight of this and I would methodologically start with my fresh juice, to fruit and work my way to the main spread of eggs, sausages and pancakes.

Well it's been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so what's your favourite breakfast dish?

fren toast 1


fren toast 3


French Toast
Serves 3 - 4

Ingredients:

8 slices of Brioche loaf, cut into about 1" thick
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream (can be omitted)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Maple syrup, jam and fresh fruit to serve

Method:

1) Place eggs, milk, cream salt, vanilla extrct, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl. Whisk to combine well. Soak the brioche into the egg mixture.

2) Preheat a large frying pan over medium fire. Add about 1 tablespoon oil and about 1 1/2 tablespoon butter.

3) Fry the brioche for about a minute of each side until golden brown. Do not overcrowd your pan. Repeat with the remaining slices.

4) Serve immediately with maple syrup, jam and your favourite fresh fruit.

Photobucket


fren toast 2

16 comments:

Edith said...

Nothing beats comfort food and this is one of those for me. Enjoy your weekend.

Passionate About Baking said...

Ooh, I love French Toast too! Yours have so many added spice. I shall try that next time. Thanks for sharing!

Cooking Gallery said...

To be true, I enjoy Asian breakfast more than Western ones ;), but I do crave for rolls with ham or warm toast with butter from time to time too. I guess it's because I live in Germany now that I always want something Asian most of the time ;).

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh I love French toast too. ;) it's warm comfort food that brightens the weekend morning. ;)

Jean said...

i prefer western breakfast to asian ones too...because asian ones tend to be much heavier and I'm not exactly that hungry in the morning. your french toast looks delicious! makes me feel like having some breakfast food now, though it's dinner haha

The Duo Dishes said...

Bready things top the breakfast list--biscuits, pancakes, waffles. And cheesey things. :) French Toast is nice because it's warm, sweet and cripsy.

tigerfish said...

Oh I can't decide my fav. breakfast! I enjoy fried bee hoon, fish ball noodles (mee pok); also like English breakfast of baked beans, mushrooms, tomatoes and egg sunny-side up (errr....as long as I don't have to do the cooking); and warm fruity oats...

Marina Mott said...

Yummy!!xx

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I like nasi lemak for breakfast , but once in a while, I will Western breakfast too . This look really nice.

Laurel {Make and Takes} said...

This french toast looks so yummy! We're featuring breakfast this week over at the M&T Spotlight and I'd love for you to submit this: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Noob Cook said...

I'm the opposite, I love salty and savoury Asian breakfast like fish ball mee poh, fried beehoon and chwee kueh ... but if a French toast looks as good as yours, I don't mind shifting camps :D

Anh said...

yes! this is the best thing to wake up to!

hanushi said...

I like french toast too... You remind me how long I haven't have this. :) Thanks for sharing!

El said...

I too love French toast. Your pictures are beautiful too!

oneordinaryday said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to start the day. Your photo of the eggs and whisk is just beautiful!

Rani said...

Personally, I haven't met a French Toast I didn't love! (Especially if it's accompanied with a mimosa or 2...) I like this recipe the best because it's pretty easy and turns out super fluffy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails