Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Super-Moist Apple Cake

When I came across this recipe the first words that jumped out from my computer screen was "super-moist". That really did it for me and I knew I had to try out this cake. I glanced at the recipe and it was really unusual! What makes this cake extremely moist was the use of thickened cream which is poured over the top just before the cake goes into the oven. I really could not imagine how it would look like but would it not result in a extremely soggy batter and an extended baking time?

Moist apple cake 1


True to its name, this Apple Cake was extremely moist. The topping resembled soft cream cheese with a sugar crumble. It was extremely delicious and kept really well in the fridge even after 3 days. For different textures you may want to try baking it with a combination of apples, such as Granny Smith (which is quite tart), Macintosh (which is firm), and Cortland (which gets very soft with cooking). This recipe is definitely a keeper especially for the holidays.

Moist apple cake 5


Super-Moist Apple Cake
by Clark Frasier and Mark Gaier with Max Alexander
Serves 10

Ingredients for the Cake Batter:

1 1/4 cups sugar
170g unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 large eggs
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cake flour (not self-rising)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk (whole or low-fat)
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 medium baking apples, peeled, cored, halved, and thinly sliced (I used Granny Smith)

Ingredients for the Topping:

3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 sugar + 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon + 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 10-inch round, 2-inch-deep cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Do not use a springform or loose-bottom cake pan.

2) In a large bowl beat 1 1/4 cups of the sugar and the butter for 3 to 5 minutes until light in color. Scrape the bowl as needed with a rubber spatula and continue to beat the mixture until it is very light in texture and color, several minutes more.

3) Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl between additions. Then add in the vanilla extract and beat to incorporate together.

4) Sift together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Alternately add the milk and dry ingredients into the butter mixture, stopping to scrape the bowl as necessary.

5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly with a rubber spatula. Arrange the apple slices overlapping in concentric circles on top of the cake batter to completely cover the top of the cake. Pour the cream evenly over the apples.

6) Stir together the 1/3 cup sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the cake. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (I had to bake mine for close to 55 mins.) Remove the pan from the oven, transfer it to a rack, and let cool completely.

7) Invert the cake onto the rack, remove the parchment paper, and invert it once more onto a serving platter. Serve warm or room temperature. Once cool, the cake can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Moist apple cake 2


Moist apple cake 3


Moist apple cake 4

13 comments:

quizzine said...

Wow wow... looks like a must-try for me!! I like the pix which shows lots of cinnamon powder!

ann low said...

When I saw your apple cake post on my reading list, I quickly hop over here. Mmm... this looks very good and yummy. I really don't mind to have apple everyday :)

Yummy Bakes said...

Looks delicious and a must-try cake.

Angie's Recipes said...

I must bake this one too! Love the caramelized apple topping!

iva | in my kitchen said...

i love apple cakes, especially moist ones! Yours looks like a recipe of mine too. I might give it a go since I like experimenting with different apple cake recipes :)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Oh, I do like this recipe. It should be delicious!

Passionate About Baking said...

I'm truly convinced! It just looks so good! Thanks for sharing, Jo!

Emily said...

A must try!

Cooking Gallery said...

This apple cake looks beautiful and delicious! I haven't had apple cake for a while, I wish I could have a slice :)!

Yummy Bakes said...

can I just check with you about this point: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly with a rubber spatula. Arrange the apple slices overlapping in concentric circles on top of the cake batter to completely cover the top of the cake. Pour the cream evenly over the apples.

After pouring the batter into the pan, simply just pour the cream evenly over the apples - no need to whisk the cream? Thanks

Jo said...

Hi Yummy Bakes, no need to whip the cream. Simply pour it out from the container directly on top of the apples. Don't forget to sprinkle the cinnamon sugar after that. Happy baking!

lovetobake said...

I have made this cake several times and every time the apples fall to the bottom. I bake using grams and converted the 1 cup + 1 tlb cake flour to 106g and the AP of the same volume to 134g.Using about 200g of apples. Any suggestions as to why my apples sink and yours don't

חנהפ said...

I like apple cakes, super moist was interesting, so i gave it a try it took more then an hour to bake and still for the middle it was not enough, it tasted good, i added another layer of apples and a bit of lemon zest

Related Posts with Thumbnails