Thursday, July 1, 2010

iPhone Cake

I think I really stretched myself this time round when I agreed to do a farewell cake for a colleague of mine who was moving back to the UK. He said the order was for Monday and would be for the office. When I asked him what he wanted, he immediately zoomed in on either a Blackberry or iPhone cake! I guess it must be the "in-thing" to have cakes replicated into IT gadgets. I had to give it some serious thought first before giving him a confirmation. I didn't want to make a promise and then not deliver. That night I did a bit of research on Flickr and found pictures of similar fondant cakes made in such shapes. I must say that one particular Blackberry fondant cake was really, really good!

I finally decided an iPhone would be much simplier and omit out on the wording bits .... my writing skills using royal icing simply suck .. in fact suck big time! I really need to practise on this more often. Over the next few days, I drew up my game plan on how to approach the cake. The cake size would be about 12" by 9.5". Should not be too fat as iPhones are pretty slim. It would be 2 layers of Chocolate Fudge Cake frosted with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting between the layers and around the cake as well, before being completely wrapped in fondant.

Photobucket


I worked my time-table a week backwards from actual delivery date. The early part of the week was to do a "mock-up" drawing of the actual size of the cake with the applets to be used. I found out that there could be a few designs for a particular applet. Take for example "Messaging" (this is the 1st green applet on the left). The one I have made here is with a plain bubble. There is one which actually has the word SMS inside the bubble. I guess I learnt a bit more about the iPhone whilst doing this cake.

The very next evening I whipped up several batches of home-made fondant. By Wednesday evening I was blending the colours into little balls of fondant which would be used for the applets. On Thursday evening, I worked on the applets, which are all handmade and left them aside to dry out completely. On Friday night, I baked the layers of chocolate cake and frosting. Once cooled the layers were wrapped in foil, placed into the refrigerator for it's final assembly on Sunday. The assembly itself took a lot longer than I had anticipated, 6 hours in all and by the time I finished it was just past 6.00 pm. I was truly and totaly tired out by then. The photos don't really look that good as natural light was unable by then and I had to use the camera flash to do the job.

Photobucket

22 comments:

Quinn said...

You're awesome...you work so well with fondant!!!! Seriously, I can never do it in a million years which is why you never see fondant covered cakes in any of my posts.

You did a great job for that lucky friend of yours Jo!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

OMG. I am speechless. I agree with Quinn, you are just awesome!!!

Noob Cook said...

that's amazing! the cake looks great, kudos for pulling it off so well :)

Edith said...

J, this is really neat work. I have long given up on homemade fondant.

busygran said...

Wow all the details! It's fantastic!

Angie's Recipes said...

You are a genie! That's a lot of work!

Jo said...

Hi all, thanks and yes it was a lot of hard work but well worth it.

Hi Edith, I have tried using Pettinence but find that it is too soft to work with. So I make my own MMF.

pigpigscorner said...

aww you did a great job!

The Duo Dishes said...

You did this?! It's so detailed. Definitely nothing to shake a stick at!

Kris Ngoei said...

You have done a good job with the fondant cake! I am so impressed and I am sure your friend was too!!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

homeladychef said...

THIS IS SO CUTE!!! I didn't know that it is an in-thing now but it certainly is creative! If any cake shop makes this surely earn big bucksss!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cake!!..

May I know how did you colour the black MMF? yours look deep black which is very difficult to achieve if we colour it on our own. I usually buy my sugarpaste when comes to dark colours.

Keep up the good work!!

Dee

Jo said...

Hi Dee, yes I agree that black is the hardest colour to apply to MMF. I had used black colour gel/paste in the paste. I was at the baking supply shop recently and the owner told me to try out charcoal powder. I used a mixture of it and Wilton black gel. The charcoal powder has no taste at all and blends very well with the MMF. In fact if I had just used gel, the MMF would be very tacky and wet. I'll probably consider buying off-the-shelf black MMF next time round.

Cherine said...

WOW!! U did it with all the details. I am impressed!! Great job :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Thank you for the tips! :)
Dee

Shauna said...

Wow, just wow. This is so detailed. Good work!

tigerfish said...

What a talent!

Tenina said...

Gorgeous...

Aaron John said...

OMG!! Looks like a ton of work but it tuned out great!! Down to every little detail! I'm impressed!!
Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh said...

That cake looks AMAZING! I want a bite - great job! (:

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

My husband (the iPhone addict) would LOVE this cake! I only wish I were as talented as you so I could make it! Bravo!

AAAAA said...

HIII! I'm wondering if you take in order for making the iphone cake! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails